.

.

Saturday, December 21, 2019

Gigli (2003)

An American romantic comedy directed by Martin Brest, starring Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, Christopher Walken and Al Pacino.
A mobster is assigned to abduct the retarded brother of a politician in order to extort money. A woman is also assigned to this task (without his knowledge) and the 3 of them form a bond.
Above all else, this was inconsistent. That seems to be the consensus after a quick read of what other critics thought. They said that it was too disorganized, but not as bad as more popular romantic comedies of the time. I didn't know whether to call it crime, romance or comedy and I think it was trying to be all of them, stretching too thin over the 2 hour duration. There were some funny parts that really made me laugh, but there were "wise guy" mob business scenes, sappy romance parts, a shooting, etc... Just trying to be too much. Rainman (1988) already did the bad boy/retard buddy flick and did it well. What I'm saying is that this should have selected romance or crime and eliminated the other element. Justin Bartha played "deet dee dee" pretty well for such a pretty boy/heartthrob actor. I haven't seen his other films though. Ben Affleck did a great job as the bad boy mobster and Christopher Walken fit his short scene as the cop the viewer hates because I really do hate him. A plot point which confused me was that Brian asked Larry to read to him, so he reads food and toilet paper labels. Then Larry goes into the other room and Ricki has a book, but he says nothing about it. Video looked pretty good and I could hear most of the dialogue well. I rate this adequate because it was worth watching once for the comedy scenes.

No comments:

Post a Comment