.

.

Sunday, December 1, 2019

Amanti A.K.A. Le Temps des amants, A Place for Lovers (1968)

A French Italian romance directed by Vittorio De Sica, starring Faye Dunaway and Marcello Mastroianni.
A woman has travelled from America to Italy and a man she met at the airport joins her on vacation. They fall in love, but the woman's friend is trying to get her to return to America because she is sick. The friend eventually tells the man as well.
Inconclusive. This was on multiple lists of the worst films ever made and I can see why it was not good, but it is nowhere near the worst. Rotten Tomatoes has the worst score for it at 17%. The plot seemed to be built on nothing and went nowhere. The characters did and said lots of things without anything actually being said or done which would change them or the plot. People have criticized the acting, but it was better than Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets (2017). These people seemed like they at least pretended to care what happened, even though nothing did happen. 2 movies into "worst", I'm noticing a trend of dying women falling in love. It may just be random chance, but there may be more to it than that. I rate this poor because it was poorly written and pointless. You really should not watch it.
Why am I watching "the worst movies ever made"? Because I was trying to get good films and ended up with crap. I figure that if I try to get crap, at least I won't be surprised that it sucks. If something good comes "floats to the surface", all the better. I loved Alakazam the Great (1960) and that was listed as worst. I thought Santa Claus Conquers the Martians (1964) was extremely entertaining and that was listed as worst as well. Maybe I find it more entertaining to talk trash about bad films than sing the praises of good ones. I know I'm more impressed by uniqueness than consensus agreement of quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment