.

.

Sunday, December 22, 2019

Festen A.K.A. The Celebration (Dogme #1) (1998)

A Danish drama directed by Thomas Vinterberg, starring Ulrich Thomsen and Trine Dyrholm.
An old man is celebrating his birthday and lots of relatives show up for the party. During dinner, one of the man's sons stands up and announces that he was sexually abused by his father.
This is clearly what the whole Dogma/Dogme 95 movement was supposed to be about. This is the first Dogme film, but I have watched others. They are all aiming for very realistic drama that looks like someone had a camera with them during the events of the film. The plot held my attention and I could hear the dialogue because there was no non-diegetic music or foley sound effects. Most of the dialogue was in Danish, with English subtitles. Only a few parts were spoken in English and those had no subtitles. Obviously, the camera-work was not quite to my liking. I would have allowed the use of tripods if I wrote the Dogma 95 movement's "Vow of Chastity". I rate this good as an example of an important film movement. It's better than adequate, but not as good as Idioterne (1998).

No comments:

Post a Comment