.

.

Friday, December 13, 2019

Dirty Grandpa (2016)

An American comedy directed by Dan Mazer, starring Robert De Niro, Aubrey Plaza and Dermot Mulroney.
A man who is about to get married must drive his grandfather to Florida. The grandfather's wife has just died and the man's fiancee is constantly pestering him about decisions for the wedding. On the way to Florida, they are caught up in a spring break celebration.
Everyone seems to really hate this, but I thought it was funny. Sure, it was riding Bad Santa (2003)'s coattails a little bit late, but it was nowhere near as bad as other critics say it is. Maybe I like it because it's bad, but I know I like it because it's unique. Even uniquely bad can be a good thing by my criteria. At least it wasn't mediocre and boring. Sign me up for sex jokes and potty humor any day. The plot held my attention and the characters were shallow, but entertaining. There were some things that went by too quickly and I had to rewind. For example, De Niro's "cock blocking" jokes at the golf course were delivered at high speed and I had to pinpoint the moment when the projector at the wedding started showing inappropriate photos so I didn't miss any. The main flaw that I agree with other critics about is that the pacing was too fast. I'm rating it adequate, partly out of spite at other critics for not getting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment