.

.

Saturday, August 6, 2016

Encino Man A.K.A. California Man (1992)

An American comedy directed by Les Mayfield, starring Sean Austin, Brendan Fraser and Pauly Shore.
A pair of unpopular high school boys find a frozen cave man and thaw him out. They teach him to live in the modern world and he makes them popular by association.
I saw this when it first came out. It's one of those feel good buddies movies. The plot is not a main focal point in this case. The characters take center stage. They are cheesy, hokey and play to the gimmick. Some people don't like Pauly Shore, but I think he works well as a character actor in this type of situation. Video style was not a main focus of this film, but the soundtrack was. Because of how extremely dated the songs are, I think they are appropriate. Also, we have Queen's "Stone Cold Crazy", the first speed metal song ever earning points in my view. I think this was made with the premise in mind and it conveys that scenario very well. Overall, don't try to overthink this one. Just chill, buuuuudy. I rate it awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment