.

.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

The Shining (1980)

A British American horror written by Stephen King, directed by Stanley Kubrick, starring Jack Nicholson and Scatman Crothers.
A writer gets a job as winter caretaker for a large, rural hotel. He brings his family, but goes insane and tries to kill them.
I can't believe I haven't written about this yet. Stylistically, it is very much of the time when it was made. It used lots of 1970s wide framing, but also had closer shots. I read the book as well and was disappointed that the moving animal-sculpted topiary was excluded. Also excluded were scenes of the family going into town. The references in Ready Player One (2018) were right on the mark for good scenes, with exaggerations of large figures over the hedge maze. I think the blood hallway was very effective. One more reference to redrum or Jack Nicholson's dialogue as he uses an axe on a door will push me over the edge. I've also reviewed Room 237 (2012 documentary) here. You should probably read that as well and maybe watch it before The Shining. Searching for an image to go with this makes me question again: why can't anyone post movie images in the original aspect ratio? I rate this good for cinematography (how could Kubrick fail? oh yeah, 2001 Space Odyssey) and casting.

No comments:

Post a Comment