.

.

Thursday, May 7, 2020

The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad (1949)

An American Disney animation directed by Jack Kinney, Clyde Geronimi and James Algar, starring Eric Blore and J. Pat O'Malley, Basil Rathbone and Bing Crosby.
A section of The Wind in the Willows (Kenneth Grahame 1908) shows Toad getting into and out of his car trouble. The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (Washington Irving 1820) is shown.
This is alright I guess. The only reason for me to watch it is the Sleepy Hollow section. I read The Wind in the Willows and it was much longer and better than this. The animation takes a few pages of the plot and uses destructive license to change almost everything. Ichabod is a little more entertaining and complete. The plot includes lots of the original, as opposed to a little bit. My old drummer used to call my Adam's Apple an "Ichabod" because mine looks like the animated character's. My favorite part is the song that Brom Bones sings at the party and the short scene afterward of Ichabod being afraid. Somehow I knew this was not by Wolfgang Reitherman. I rate it tolerable because, even talking about just Disney films, there are so many better ones. It is, however, better than any Disney film made after 2000.

No comments:

Post a Comment