.

.

Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Branded A.K.A. The Mad Cow, Moscow 2017 (2012)

A Russian American fantasy directed by Jamie Bradshaw and Aleksandr Dulerayn, starring Jeffrey Tambor and Max von Sydow.
A marketing executive is involved in a media scandal and goes to live in the country. There he performs a ritual with a red cow, gaining the ability to see brand loyalty as monsters growing on people and buildings.
I love it! If only it were true... Unfortunately, it is too true in other ways. Advertising may as well be monsters with how omnipresent it is in the modern world. I could easily see fat becoming the new definition of beauty. Anyone who has been in a Walmart in the past decade or so would agree. Why do mostly fat people shop at Walmart? ...or is it Does Walmart make people fat? The plot is very interesting to me and the visual effects make it unforgettable. Some of the CG monsters are amazingly well done. I also liked how the company leaders and ad men have monster tendrils attached to them, feeding directly into the hive. The only thing that I didn't like about this is that there was Russian dialogue with no subtitles in the version I've seen. I rate it awesome for being a scorching social commentary as well as having great visual effects. You should really watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment