.

.

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Eat Drink Man Woman (1994)

A Taiwanese drama directed by Ang Lee, starring Sihung Lung.
An aging chef who is losing his sense of taste has his three adult daughters living with him. Although all of their past relationships have failed in various ways, new romantic opportunities open for them.
This was really long and the pacing was very slow. The camera-work was excellent. It showed very detailed depictions of traditional Chinese cooking and somber views of the house interiors. The plot was complex and the characters were very well developed. Unfortunately, the daughters were difficult to differentiate for me. The general style reminded me of watching Bong Joon-ho's films. I can only imagine that Ang Lee was a major influence on him. Overall, this was worth watching, but a tad slow for my tastes. I rate it adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment