.

.

Monday, June 27, 2016

The Golden Voyage of Sinbad (1973)

A British fantasy adventure directed by Gordon Hessler, starring John Phillip Law, written, produced and with special effects by Ray Harryhausen.
Sinbad finds a golden amulet and encounters a vizier who wears a mask that also has one. After having a vision of a woman with an eye tattoo on her hand, he agrees to employ a man's lazy son and bring the man's slave girl with the tattoo. They search for the third golden amulet, but an evil magician is also looking for it.
This was fine. It had a fairly simple premise that expanded into a long plot. The characters were memorable, although slightly stereotypical. I was reminded of Lara Croft: Tomb Raider (2001) because of the three people/groups and three pieces of a magical item. Video featured Harryhausen's famous compositing and stop motion monsters. My favorite was the little homunuculus created by the evil magician. I could hear all of the dialogue and the soundtrack was appropriate. Overall, exactly as expected. I think I've watched this before. I rate it adequate. It's a good addition to my collection of similar films.

No comments:

Post a Comment