.

.

Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Godzilla vs. Megalon A.K.A. Gojira tai Megaro (1973)

A Japanese daikaiju science fiction directed by Jun Fukuda.
Nuclear testing angers an underground civilization, who release a giant beetle monster. A single father, his son and gay partner have constructed a robot. The underground people abduct the son and hot-wire the robot. Eventually, the robot, homosexuals and boy all get free and send the robot to retrieve Godzilla as the underground people are calling in another monster from outer space.
I will try not to state the obvious in my future Godzilla film reviews. The plots suck, the characters are worse and the special effects are hokey. I watch them because I like to see the daikaiju monsters and because I fondly remember watching them in my childhood. This goes for all Godzilla films, unless noted otherwise.
I had trouble understanding what the characters were calling the robot. "Dag Jagula? Jag Jagua" It was Jet Jaguar. I found it odd that such an openly homosexual couple would be pictured in 1973 raising a child, but whatever. The amount of costumes, explosives and miniature models required for these films amazes me. This one had a budget of $760,000. Most of that probably exploded during filming or got crushed by something. Hence, why they like to bring back the monster costumes repeatedly. Godzilla was acted very well in this. Although devoid of dialogue, he conveyed personality and some limited range of emotion. Overall, I think this is one of the better ones. I rate it adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment