.

.

Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Nightbreed (1990)

An American horror fantasy directed by Clive Barker, Starring David Cronenberg.
A man who has dreams about killing people is confronted by his therapist because those people have been killed as he said. He goes to a certain cemetery where he is shot by police, but vanishes from the hospital. His girlfriend tries to find him dead, alive or undead.
This was almost as cool as Hellraiser. There were monsters and special effects. The plot was in line with the UPO and the "fun & games" section was the girlfriend seeing all the monsters in their underground lair. I thought that was just amazing. I almost cared about the main characters, but when cool monsters take the screen, my attention gets diverted. The camera-work was invisible because I was watching for plot and special effects. Pacing kept a decent jaunt, but I would have put more monsters into 2 hours if it was mine. More demonstrations of monster abilities and those being used in conflicts would have been amazing, but obviously expensive. I really liked it, but I felt that there was not enough monster screen time. Maybe a slow pan of monster faces could have eaten some seconds and given the viewer a better look at the characters. I don't know. I'm rambling. I rate this awesome. Watch it if you like Hellraiser and Subspecies.

No comments:

Post a Comment