.

.

Friday, November 7, 2014

The Great Rupert (1950)

An American drama directed by Irving Pichel, starring Jimmy Durante.
A circus performer with a trained squirrel is evicted from his apartment and lets the squirrel go in a park nearby. The squirrel returns to the apartment and lives in the rafters. A new family moves into the apartment and the landlord upstairs starts getting money every week. He hides the money behind a floorboard and the squrrel ejects it into the apartment.
This film is listed as a comedy, but I don't see what's so funny. The stop motion animation for the squrrel really got my attention, but the rest of the film was rather lackluster. The plot and characters were clearly communicated and the style was typical of the time. I found the pacing to be extremely slow and thought there was too much filler. I rate it o.k. because of the stop motion squirrel. I would recommend finding a short clip of the squirrel and skipping the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment