.

.

Friday, November 21, 2014

Faces of Death series (1978 - 1990)

An American horror documentary by John Alan Schwartz.
Real and fictional film footage of accidents, disasters and murders is shown and narrated, accompanied by a variety of music.
Which parts are real and which are staged? I think not knowing is more fun. I viewed the films without knowing that some of the scenes were staged and learning of this cheapened the experience. The video quality changes with every segment, but the audio is mostly good. It was all the same volume level, which is most important. Plot and characters are a non-issue for this style of film and with the compilation nature of the presentation, pacing ranges wildly as well. One of my most treasured childhood memories is of repeated visits to VHS rental stores and asking my parents to rent these films for me. 20 something years later, I was somewhat disappointed that the films were not gruesome or gory enough for me, although several segments did actually gross me out. I'm rating this best and would recommend it for anyone with extreme tastes. It wasn't as nasty as Nekromantik (1987) or Earthlings (2005), but far nastier than anything else I've seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment