.

.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Crossroads (1986)


A drama directed by Walter Hill, starring Ralph Macchio and Steve Vai.
A young guitarist helps an old blues man to break out of a nursing home and they go to Mississippi together on the premise that the old man will teach the boy a special song when they get there.
Most of this film was just mediocre '80s cheese, but the music was pretty good. There is a guitar duel in the end that I have my doubts about. In most of the shots it looks like the guys are actually playing, but there are some that looked a little sketchy. I looked it up, and apparently everything is supposed to be real. I still have doubts because of hearing shred, but not seeing fingers moving, although Steve Vai shouldn't have to cheat a solo. The outcome of the duel was OBVIOUSLY staged, as Ralph Macchio had just learned to play guitar for this film and Steve Vai was already famous. I'm rating this good.

No comments:

Post a Comment