.

.

Tuesday, August 5, 2014

The Lost World (1925)

An American adventure film directed by Harry Hoyt, with special effects by Willis O'Brien.
A mixed group of people travel to a plateau in the Amazon in search of dinosaurs and the father of one of their number.
Simple plot, small number of characters, stop-motion animation? Yes. This may be supremely old and a silent film, but it is still good. I like the prehistoric beasts being animated by a prehistoric special effect. I am extremely biased on the subject matter of this film. I grew up playing with dinosaur toys, have always watched dinosaur films and still have a collection of dinosaur memorabilia. However, they made one serious mistake by making the setting the Amazon in South America instead of the Congo in Africa. Everybody knows Mokele Mbembe lives in Africa! Other than that, great film and very entertaining for anyone who likes dinosaurs. Just skip the first few boring minutes until they get to the jungle. I rate it good.
This is my 1500th film review and I wouldn't choose another film in all the world to commemorate the occasion. There are better movies out there that are more shocking, artfully crafted and more important than this one, but part of me is still the little boy with a box full of dinosaur toys to play with.

No comments:

Post a Comment