.

.

Friday, April 3, 2020

964 Pinocchio A.K.A. Screams of Blasphemy, ピノキオ√964 (1991)

A Japanese cyberpunk horror by Shozin Fukui.
A man is ejected from a company for not being able to maintain a constant erection. His memory has been wiped and he wanders the streets until he meets a woman who draws maps for people with no memory. The man's memory returns and after people from the company try to capture him, he returns voluntarily.
Very strange. It reminded me a little of Tetsuo: The Iron Man (1989) because the plot was very vague, but I knew something odd was happening. I would have liked the characters of and relationship between Pinocchio and Himiko to have been developed a little more. The video and audio seemed like a Japanese version of TROMA. I guess that's their take on cyberpunk. Some of the visuals were pricelessly unique, but most of it was terrible. The copy that I got looked like the video was vertically compressed into 16:9, but that may be intentional for all I can tell. I really like it because of how strange it is, but it was just not good. I give this a weird pink rating because it would be unhappy with any other.

No comments:

Post a Comment