.

.

Sunday, January 12, 2020

Mac and Me (1988)

An American science fiction directed by Stewart Raffill.
A space probe picks up an alien family and they are separated on Earth. One of the alien children is befriended by a boy in a wheelchair and his friends help him to reunite the aliens.
Take E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) and just change it just enough to seem different, then add product placement for McDonald's, Coca-Cola and Sears. That's what this was. Quotes from Wikipedia: "Raffill directed and wrote Mac and Me (1988) , made to provide royalties to the McDonald's Foundation and to have a lead with spina bifida" "amazingly bald-faced copy of E.T., even though this is E.T. in a sticky wrapper, left under the heater two hours too long" "thinly-veiled feature length commercial for McDonald's and Coca-Cola". With the obvious out of the way, was it fun to watch? I have to say it kind of was. The aliens were hokey, but charming. Seeing them sucked up in vacuums and splattered on a windshield was kind of funny. I'm skipping plot and characters here because everyone knows where those came from. Camera-work and video quality looked late '80s, which I liked. The audio was lots like my copy of Caddyshack (1980): dialogue was very quiet and music was very loud. Given my oral and ethical aversion to advertising, I liked this more than I should have. I rate it o.k. because it was an unoriginal corporate money-grubbing scheme, but fun to watch. Know what it is before deciding to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment