.

.

Wednesday, January 15, 2020

101 Reykjavik (2000)

An Icelandic black comedy drama directed by Baltasar Kormakur, starring Victoria Abril.
A young man lives with his mother and is a little bit of a slacker. He collects unemployment and hangs out with his friends. His nmother's friend comes to visit for Christmas and while the mother is away, the friend and son have sex. The mother returns and announces her lesbianism with the friend.
Not too shabby. This held my interest with plot and characters. I think the son's friends could have been developed better, but the main characters seemed realistic. It was in Icelandic, but I get good subtitles. The mother's friend was Spanish, but spoke English. I noticed some camera-work done from above ground level that looked good. 2 of the son's friends were using a crane to hang Christmas decorations in town and that was shot from a higher view. There was also a scene with the son going into a building and the camera was pointed through second floor windows from outside. I used to wish for more "good green rating" movies, but now I'm happier to get the "adequate blue rating" ones when they come along. I rate this adequate. You might want to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment