.

.

Monday, January 6, 2020

Hurry Sundown (1967)

An American drama directed by Otto Preminger, starring Michael Caine, Jane Fonda, Faye Dunaway, Burgess Meredith, George Kennedy and Jim Backus.
Neighboring white and black farmers unite against a rich man's family trying to buy their land.
I didn't think this was so bad, but critics found it stupid, heavy-handed and coarse. My favorite quote was from Channel 4 "Preminger wears a liberal heart on his sleeve and then blows his nose on it". I liked that the poor farmers banded together against the rich land grabber, but that came after countless racist and sexist scenes. Filming was a nightmare because locals disagreed with desegregation and attacked the cast and crew on multiple occasions. I thought that the audio and video were both good. Panavision Technicolor is my favorite type of film because of the contrast, saturation and heavy grain. I'm boviously biased and unashamed. The plot and characters held my attention. I rate it adequate because I kind of liked it. You may want to watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment