.

.

Thursday, May 30, 2019

The Pink Panther Series (1963 - 1982)

A British American mystery comedy directed by Blake Edwards and Bud Yorkin, starring Peter Sellers, Herbert Lom and Burt Kwouk.
A bumbling and clumsy detective solves robbery and murder cases.
The title in order are: The Pink Panther (1963), A Shot in the Dark (1964), Inspector Clouseau (1968) see notes, The Return of the Pink Panther (1975), The Pink Panther Strikes Again (1976), Revenge of the Pink Panther (1978) and Trail of the Pink Panther (1982). I tried to keep this to a coherent set of Blake Edwards and Peter Sellers films, but Inspector Clouseau accidentally got in there. It was directed by Bud Yorkin and starred Alan Arkin. More on this later.
The series as a whole was mediocre at best. I had tried to start watching them before, but the first film made no sense to me. It wasn't until film 2 that things fell into place and I comprehended what was going on. What was going on was a threadbare plot punctuated with visual gags. Clouseau falls down and breaks things for most of the duration. His next favorite thing to do is to mispronounce words and be misunderstood because of it. The cinematography was alright through the series and the audio was a little low, but not overly dynamic. I liked the accidental inclusion of Inspector Clouseau (1968) the most. Having a different director and star seemed to make it more coherent to me. Maybe I was just getting used to the pattern at that point. I also found it funnier than the others. I rate the whole set o.k. and don't really know who I would recommend it to. I do know that I would rather watch the cartoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment