.

.

Thursday, October 16, 2014

Affairs of Cappy Ricks (1937)

An American comedy drama directed by Ralph Staub, starring Walter Brennan and Lyle Talbot.
A sea captain returns home from a voyage to find that his daughter is engaged to the wrong man and his business is in danger. He gathers his family and future in-laws for a voyage on his ship to set things right.
I was about to refer to this film as "Affairs of Crappy Pricks" until I saw who the main character was played by. I can't do that to Stumpy (Rio Bravo 1959)! Suffice to say that I did not like the film, although it may have been technically well-made. The plot and characters were clearly communicated, but I did not like them. The style reminded me of a '50s sit-com. The pacing seemed a little off because it felt long, even though it was only 56 minutes. This may be because I don't like comedy films and didn't find this to be funny in the least bit. The sets were very well designed and the characters were in appropriate costumes. I'm rating this o.k. because it met some of my main criteria, but I didn't like it. You should watch this if you tend to disagree with my evaluations of films.

No comments:

Post a Comment