.

.

Monday, June 2, 2014

Gone with the West A.K.A. Little Moon and Jud McGraw (1975)

An American western directed by Bernard Girard, starring James Caan, Stefanie Powers and Sammy Davis Jr.
A man who is released from prison teams up with a Mexican woman to destroy a town with a corrupt leader.
EDIT:
I just watched this a second time and I was wrong in my initial review. This is what would happen if Bakshi did a live action western. Most of the story is told visually and through changes in the musical score. The two main characters are very memorable and the simple plot makes it easy to pay attention to. My favorite scene is still the one with the Mexican woman trying to get the cowboy's attention. The ending (which I still won't spoil) is good too because they break the fourth wall. I had initially thought that the funk and fusion music in the soundtrack was out of place, but now that I see it again, it makes more sense. I was strongly reminded of the Wizards (1977) soundtrack. I realized that this was a repeat that I accidentally got again because of the folk song that accompanies the beginning and ending. Then I thought of the picture above and decided to give it another chance. Glad I did, because now I'm changing my rating from poor to awesome. Definitely recommended for anyone who likes '70s films.

No comments:

Post a Comment