.

.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Song of the South (1946)


A musical directed by Harve Foster and Wilfred Jackson, produced by Walt Disney and co-written by Bill Peet.
A boy moves to a new plantation where he meets an old slave who tells him stories about Brer Rabbit.
This movie is actually banned in the U.S., obviously because of how it portrayed people of african descent. This portrayal was far too accurate to be allowed. There wasn't any watermelon or any fried chicken and I'm unsure of the date that Kool-Aid was invented, but the black people on screen sure acted stereotypical. The animated sections were awesome and were based on folk tales. The live action parts were written just for this film and were far less astounding. I like the "forbidden fruits" as much as anyone, so I can't rate this bad, but most of it was horrible, so I can't rate it too good. Adequate would be my logical choice.

No comments:

Post a Comment