.

.

Monday, March 30, 2020

Ride in the Whirlwind (1966)

An American western directed by Monte Hellman, starring Cameron Mitchell and Jack Nicholson.
Three cowboys stop to rest where outlaws are hiding and become fellow targets of a manhunt. One of them is shot and the other two hide out at a farm before attempting another escape.
This was not an acid western, but was listed on the Wikipedia page as such. This is the quote from that page which would best fit this film: "in the Acid Western, it is the reverse, a journey towards death; society becomes nightmarish". However, this lacked the outlandish and counter-culture characteristics of acid westerns I have liked.I could tell that this was shot on the type of Technicolor Cinemascope camera/film combos that I like because the video looked good, but the frequent, treble-biased gunfire grated on my ears. This got 6.5/10 on IMDB and 92% on Rotten Tomatoes, so other people think it's relatively good. I just don't see how it's that much different than the average, regular western of the time. I rate it o.k. because it seemed mediocre to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment