.

.

Sunday, March 29, 2020

7 Women A.K.A. Seven Women (1966)

An American drama directed by John Ford, starring Anne Bancroft and Flora Robson.
A new doctor goes to work at an American mission in China. She is not accepted, but her help is needed because a Mongolian warlord is marauding in the nearby area. There is a pregnant woman there and sick people from a nearby British mission show up.
This is supposedly really important as one of the best films ever and is on several lists of those. Wikipedia also says that John Ford was trying to make a point about morality with it. The point was about those who actually act in a moral manner and those who merely claim morality. I thought it was alright. The plot mostly held my attention because there was always something happening. The characters were cast well and the doctor reminded me of Lieutenant Ripley from the Alien franchise (complete with jacket, red hair and cigarette). What I did not like was the production. I find 1960s production to be lacking in an annoying way. Everyone was announcing their lines and the video had a color balance which was too warm for my taste. Other critics gave it mediocre scores and I am too. I rate it o.k.

No comments:

Post a Comment