.

.

Friday, February 21, 2020

2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

A British American science fiction directed by Stanley Kubrick.
A black monolith is found on the moon, with a beam pointing to Jupiter. A team of astronauts are sent in a spaceship powered by an "infallible" computer.
A visual masterpiece, an audio nightmare. The sparse plot failed to hold my attention and the shallow characters did not even make me care to find out what happens next. I have watched this a few times, but it was not on my blog, so I watched it again just to review. All of the video looks amazing. I really like the shots with rotating sets and camera to simulate space travel. Even the sets in those scenes are amazing. However, Kubrick forgot that a movie has audio as well as video. It sounded like Wendy Carlos puked on her keyboard to record the soundtrack. There is only Kubrick to blame for this, as he used pre-existing classical music recordings. The worst was the scene in which David Bowman was unplugging HAL 9000. The shrieking white noise would work as a Ludivico Technique to make me hate science fiction films. I would really like to like this movie because it looks so good. It just sounds so bad that I have to rate it shit. I will never be watching it ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment