.

.

Tuesday, June 4, 2019

My Stepmother Is an Alien (1988)

An American science fiction comedy directed by Richard Benjamin, starring Dan Aykroyd, Kim Basinger and Jon Lovitz.
A scientist sends a beam far into outer space, attracting an alien to the Earth. The alien appears as a beautiful woman who tries to get the scientist to send the beam again and save her planet.
Typical of the time. I appreciated the drama element of the film more than the comedy. Some of it was vaguely funny, but nothing stood out. The special effects were a little bit lame, but generally convincing. The eye puppet in the alien's purse was kind of cool and I liked how the alien manipulated physics on the scientist's daughter. The physics effects would be easy to do with modern software, but must have been more complex to create in 1988. I thought it was a relatively simple and mediocre movie. I rate it o.k. and would recommend it if you get into late '80s mainstream cinema.

No comments:

Post a Comment