.

.

Friday, July 6, 2018

Eaten Alive! A.K.A. Mangiati vivi! (1980)

An Italian horror directed by Umberto Lenzi.
A woman's sister is missing and video tape surfaces which shows her participating in a purification ceremony in the jungle. The woman hires a rough guy to help find her sister. They find the sister living in a religious cult near a cannibal tribe. They are saved from the cannibals by the cult, but must escape the insane leader and his brainwashed followers.
Total gore-fest. I love it! The plot was not what kept me interested, but having the Jim Jones cult right next to the cannibals was brilliant. The main character's Alabama accent came and went through the film and her whisky-swilling tough guy was an extremely shallow and static character. All of the women had great breasts on display, so female anatomy points apply. This was not about dialogue. Hence, it was basic, plot-driven and shallow. The jungle looked like every other cannibal movie jungle I've seen, but I obviously liked some of the (lack of) costumes. Camera-work was not bad. There were lots of medium and full shots of the characters, but close-ups of gore. The close-ups of cannibals eating people amused me a great deal. The people getting chopped up was obviously special effects, but I think the animal mutilation was all real in this one. I'm not for the senseless slaughter of innocent beasts, but since they did it, I'm glad I got to see it. I'll probably watch it a few more times so the animals won't have died for nothing. Audio was uneven. The music was really loud, but dialogue was mixed correctly. IMDb lists a 5.3/10 rating, AllMovie lists 1.5/5 AllMovie rating with 3.5/5 User Ratings and Rotten Tomatoes lists 38% Audience Score for an average of 47.75%. People are crazy not to see the value in this. Who could rate gore and tits so low? I rate it awesome. This is a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment