.

.

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Belle de Jour (1967)

A French Italian drama directed by Luis Bunuel, starring Catherine Deneuve and Jean Sorel.
A married woman goes to work at a brothel in order to realize her sexual fantasies. She gets involved with a gangster client who follows her home to start trouble if she doesn't comply with his wishes.
For a film about prostitution, I would have expected more nudity like Jesus Franco would have done. The plot was extremely simple and predictable. The characters developed along similarly predictable paths. I found it appropriate that this was in French because France has a reputation as "the city of love" ...even if you have to pay for it. As with the Chinese films, I think that there was something lost in communication as far as the dialogue goes when it got subtitled. The acting seemed pretty decent though. I really believed the young gangster's acting as #1 bad boy. Locations made sense and costumes were plain, but the prostitutes wore the correct lingerie and the gangsters wore the right suits. The camera-work that stood out to me most was the main character's feet going up stairs to the brothel. The dreams looked amazing too and I actually got what they meant. Audio was mixed right, nothing too loud or too quiet. This won 4/5 awards that it was nominated for in the late '60s. IMDb has a 7.8/10 rating listed and Rotten Tomatoes lists 96% Tomatometer with 85% Audience Score for an average of 86.33%. I think that's a little too high. Sure, it looked good, but it takes more than a pretty face to win me over. If I can figure out what the dreams mean, it's too simple. It's also missing some nudity. I rate it o.k. Maybe you should watch it and see if you agree with consensus that it's amazing or with me that Jesus Franco would have done it better.

No comments:

Post a Comment