.

.

Monday, July 2, 2018

Cinematographer Style (2006)

An American documentary directed by Jon Fauer.
Cinematographers are interviewed about their jobs.
This was a little bit of a special interest piece. You need to be really into how movies are made to see value in it. I watched the extended/extras version with 2 full hour long interviews added to the hour and a half feature duration for a total of 3 and a half hours because I'm really into how movies are made. Information density was there if you know what they're talking about. Each interviewee explains some of the aspects of what a cinematographer does and how the quality of this work is determined. There were tons of interviewees: 110 of them! Given my high level of interest in the subject matter, even I found this a little on the dry side and was easily distracted while watching it. My mind tended to wander some while these folks were talking. Too bad the cinematography on this documentary was so poor. Each interviewee was filmed from only one camera on a tripod. If you watch the extras, you find out that the camera operator was moving the camera around as well as zooming in and out while they were filming. To be clear, more cameras or shot positions with less movement would have been better. The audio all sounded great to me. I could hear the monologues very clearly and there was not much dynamic range of volume. IMDb has a rating of 7.1/10 listed, Apple iTunes has 3.6/5 and Rotten Tomatoes lists 61% Audience Score for an average of 68%. I think that I agree with the barely passing grade. I rate it poor.

No comments:

Post a Comment