.

.

Sunday, July 1, 2018

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

An American science fiction directed by Denis Villeneuve, starring Harrison Ford, Robin Wright and Jared Leto.
It is discovered that a replicant (android) has reproduced and the government has their best replicant-killer on the case.
This sucked. It sucked for 2 and a half hours! I didn't care about the plot because it didn't make me care. I even watched it twice because I thought I missed something important. The main characters were far too shallow to care about either. Most of the acting seemed fine, but the woman recruiting for the replicant army really blew it. I was trying to figure out if the government had put her up to asking the main character to join so they could bust him. It seemed like she was reading the script for the first time right then. Sets and costumes were really the only redeeming feature. Stuff looked great. Sure, it was probably mostly CG anyway. I was not impressed by the costumes though. Camera-work looked like a new, mainstream Hollywood film. There were lots of quick cuts and close-ups, without much else. I think there may have been a drone shot or few as well. Special effects looked like any kid with After Effects and enough time could have done them. It was like 90% layering and compositing. I did watch the original before I started this blog and the physical effects with real sets, props and models looked better. The orange filter when the main character meets Harrison ford was really annoying and the exaggerated waves on the wall at government headquarters looked cheesy. Audio actually seemed fine, but I have a compressor on, so it was probably standard of current trends in augmented dynamic volume levels. I'm not counting awards won/nominated because the list is too long. IMDb has an 8.1/10 rating listed and Rotten Tomatoes has 87% Tomatometer with 81% Audience Score for an average of 83%. I do not agree at all. For being a mainstream pile of CG that didn't come close to even trying to make me care about it, I rate this bad. DO NOT WATCH!

1 comment:

  1. Totally agree, this movie was a total waste of film and effort. Not sure who it was supposed to be for but it was so bad it pretty much ruins the first movie. NEVER SEE, you will regret it

    ReplyDelete