.

.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The Secret in Their Eyes A.K.A. El secreto de sus ojos (2009)

An Argentine Spanish crime mystery directed by Juan Jose Campanella, starring Ricardo Darin and Guillermo Francella.
A retired detective is writing a book about a murder case that he was assigned to. He meets with a female co-worker and the victim's husband to discuss his book.
This reminded me of All the President's Men (1976). The 2 hour duration really felt that way because the pacing was generally slow. The plot skipped backwards and forwards in time. It showed the old, retired detective writing his book as well as the original investigation. The limited number of characters worked well, but they were all mean to each other all the time. The acting was done very serious and poker faced. I got a version with really bad subtitles and my rudimentary Spanish skills came in handy to decode what was going on. The sets and costumes were very boring. I liked the gigantic police building set the most. In camera-work, there was a follow shot at the soccer game and a shot in which the camera circled around the main character's desk that I liked quite a bit. The whole thing had that classic police detective vibe going on. Other critics give this around a B+ grade, but I don't agree. I think it was too slow and boring. I rate this o.k.

No comments:

Post a Comment