.

.

Saturday, January 6, 2018

Only Lovers Left Alive (2013)

A British German drama directed by Jim Jarmusch, starring Tilda Swinton, Anton Yelchin, Jeffrey Wright and John Hurt.
A female vampire in Tangiers goes to visit her husband in Detroit, but her sister shows up and drinks the husband's zombie. They kick out the sister and both go to Tangiers in order to avoid being known.
Every once in a while, a truly goth movie comes along. I definitely appreciated the two hour duration and still wanted more. It went too quickly, even though the actual pacing was moderate. The plot was pretty sparse, but this was like a "slice of life" Mike Leigh film that doesn't need constant action and conflict. The characters were very much to my liking. I cared what happened to them, their dialogue was written in character and the actors did a great job playing their roles. These vampires are of the cleaner Hollywood style. They don't even drool blood like Radu from Subspecies. I liked that the husband wore all black and the wife wore light colors. The husband's house looked like musician's heaven (probably all real equipment) and Tangiers looked convincing. The camera-work and editing were seamless. The only time that I really noticed what the camera was doing was in spinning overhead shots and during the first blood drinking scene. All of the vampires drink blood from small wine glasses and are followed by the camera as they lean back, like in Trainspotting. The audio is where I have to get negative on this. The dialogue was audible and correctly mixed, but the music genre was not to my liking. The whole style, flavor and feeling of this was very cohesive and dark. Other critics give this film about a B average, which I think is abysmally low for something so gloomily beautiful. I rate this best because I wanted to watch it again right after it ended.

No comments:

Post a Comment