.

.

Sunday, January 21, 2018

All for the Winner (1990)

A Chinese comedy directed by Jeffrey Lau and Corey Yuen, starring Stephen Chow, Ng Man-tat, Sharla Cheung and Sandra Ng.
A young man with supernatural powers goes to stay with his gambler uncle. The uncle finds out that his nephew can see through solid items and uses him to win at gambling.
This was actually funny. The hour 40 duration went by quickly as I was laughing at Stephen Chow's jokes. The simplistic premise had a romantic sub-plot, but didn't really seem to matter much to me. It was more of a framework to hang humor on than a real story. The characters were a little shallow, but the nephew-uncle team made me laugh a few times. I can't say much for dialogue because of the language barrier, but the acting was great. I thought the funniest acting joke was when the uncle shows his nephew a movie about a gambler and there is a slow motion scene of the gambler entering a room. The nephew then does his own slow motion effect by walking slowly when he goes to meet a mob boss gambler. Sets and costumes were pretty standard for the area and time, nothing really worth mentioning. The armpit scene was not funny. Camera-work was standard as well. Not bad, I could see everything clearly, but nothing caught my eye as being above average. The dialogue on the version that I watched was dubbed into Thai. So it was a Chinese film, Thai dubbing with English subtitles. The soundtrack was everything cheesy that I like about late '80s early '90s film score music. Very dated and hokey, but in a good way for a comedy flick. This has a 6.9/10 on IMDB, 78% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes and was nominated for 2 awards. That seems about right to me. I rate it adequate for being a mediocre movie with some funny humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment