.

.

Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Crusade in Jeans A.K.A. Kruistocht in spijkerbroek (2006)

A Dutch science fiction directed by Ben Sombogaart.
A soccer player from modern times used his mother's time travel device and accidentally ends up in the 13th century. He joins the children's crusade and tries to help the children while he waits for his mother to find him and warp him back.
Horrible. This is a prime example of New Hollywood Bullshit, even though it was not made in Hollywood. The 2 hour duration seemed to take forever. The premise and plot were not extremely bad, but there were jumpy sections in which events were not clearly presented. I hated all the characters, but the Nicolaas priest actor looked like the bassist from a band I played in (image). Poorly written dialogue and sub-par acting made me hate the characters even more. Sets were pretty basic besides the CG castles, but the costumes looked authentic. Camera-work and editing were disasters. There were way too many shots that were too close to tell a convincing story and the editing was all far too quick. The single, repeated special effect of the time warp got old very fast. If that wasn't bad enough already, audio is where this really irked me. The bread baking scene with all the kids singing Queen's "We Are the Chamions" was too hokey for words. This won 5 awards, has a 6.1/10 on IMDB and 44% audience score on Rotten Tomatoes. I don't get how it won awards with a 52.5% average F grade. I agree with the average grade, but not the awards. I rate this bad for wrecking a Queen song more than it has already been wrecked and for making me hate the characters. I should have turned it off and rated it shit.

No comments:

Post a Comment