.

.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck (2015)

An American documentary directed by Brett Morgen.
The life of Kurt Cobain of Nirvana fame is presented in retrospective.
I was thinking Gus Van Sant's last days, but got a doc that made Cobain look good. There were too many childhood home movies to start with. Then there was stuff about him being rebellious, which was good. Then he played in bands, which was bad because it was mostly his music (gag, choke). Then he made out with Courtney Love, they had a kid and showed their baby videos. The variety of videos with newer interviews and old home movies worked well. Do we really need to see animations on his notebooks though? The music was too much Nirvana for me because I hate the band. I got to the two hour mark and freaked out because there were only 12 minutes left for him to collapse into drug addiction, depression and death. Besides those being my favorite things in the world, I want to see them happen to someone whose music I hate. Overall, the editing was good, but it was far too positive. I rate this adequate because it was made well, but the content was not to my liking. You might like Nirvana and want to watch it, but I don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment