.

.

Monday, July 21, 2014

Sundown (1941)

An American war film directed by Henry Hathaway, starring Gene Tierney and Bruce Cabot.
An English army camp in Africa is taken over by a new leader and news that the Africans are trafficking guns reaches the camp. Soon after, a white woman who runs a caravan in the area arrives in the camp as well and helps the military men to discover the details of the arms smuggling.
The plot was pretty simple, but the characters were very good. They were identifiable and easy to differentiate. All of them also came with back-stories to give them some depth. The audio, video and style were typical of the time period, but not bad. I thought that the pacing was a little drawn out in some parts and rushed just slightly in others. Although it pushed and pulled at "correct" time, this made it all that much more watchable. The hour and a half duration was just a little long for my tastes and what I think was needed to communicate and resolve the plot. Being a war film, I was expecting a higher level of propaganda, but this aspect was confined to a few quotes from a few characters (not taking into account any subliminals that I have no time to go into here). Gene Tierney earns the most basic and conservative of female anatomy points with her middle eastern clothing. Overall, it's an alright movie for those who don't mind it showing it's age. I rate it o.k.
As per the purpose of this blog, I'm trying to catch as many of the basic film elements as I can in my reviews. I had thought of putting bullet points for each element, but thought that this would make my writing seem too mechanical and dehumanizing.

No comments:

Post a Comment