.

.

Tuesday, July 1, 2014

My Name is Bill W (1989)

An American made for TV drama directed by Daniel Petrie, starring James Woods and backed by CBS, Warner Brothers and Hallmark corporations.
The founder of Alcoholics Anonymous has trouble quitting booze and starts a support group to help other people quit.
You may recognize James Woods from his other role as a quitter in Cat's Eye (1985). He may have been slightly type-cast in the late '80s. This film was mostly about the main character and I think that's appropriate in this case, as it is mostly biographical. The style and presentation were good, but also typical of that era. I think that the ending was a little too happy compared to how the real Bill W's life actually ended. The real one died from emphysema and pneumonia while demanding whiskey. Historical inaccuracies aside, I didn't really mind the movie and thought it was a little better than the average AA meeting. I rate it o.k.

No comments:

Post a Comment