.

.

Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pippi Longstocking, Goes on Board, in the South Seas, on the Run Collection (1969 & 1970)

A Swedish and West German fantasy adventure series directed by Olle Hellbom, starring Inger Nilsson, Maria Persson and Par Sundberg.
Pippi Longstocking is the daughter of a sea captain/pirate. She has magic powers and the neighbor kids are her friends. They go on adventures together from playing "the floor is lava" in her house, Ville Villekulla to rescuing Pippi's father from pirates.
This is one of those things that you have to see to understand why it's so cool. The characters are unforgettable and the plots stay interesting. The style or flavor is consistently very good and captures the innocence and curiosity of youth. Some of the dubbing was a little on the nasty side and reminded me of bad kung-fu films, but otherwise I liked it. I've concluded that it's not sexual subliminal messages that this series has, but witchcraft and black magic. In the final 1970 film, Pippi's last appearance is flying a broom. I think that settles that question. She does show her green panties quite a bit and there are a few instances of Annika's pre-pubescent upper-frontal nudity. By the way, Annika can SHRED on the harmonica. She seems to pull it out of nowhere and go to town on that instrument, whereas Pippi (with black magick witchcraft powers) can't play the trumpet to save her life. Unfortunately, the smoking scene (for those internet psychonauts like myself) is not present in this series. I don't know where that picture came from. I would definitely recommend this series of films to anyone who has the same weird taste in movies as I have. I'm rating it best. Yes, better than New Adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment