.

.

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Waking Life (2001)


A animated film directed by Richard Linklater.
A young man in a dream talks to various people about psychology, politics and existence.
The animation technique used in this film is called rotoscoping, in which animators trace the live action film frame by frame. The end result is as beautiful as it is mysterious. I really think that the main character looks like me. I had that hairstyle when I was about his age and he talks and acts like me too. [research happens] His name is Wiley Wiggins and I've included a picture. It turns out that he's 25 in the film and when I had the hairstyle, I was about 19-20. Wiley was also in Dazed and Confused. Now for the scary part... Due to my experiences with dissociative drugs, I have a close and personal relationship with the feeling of death. Whether it's impending doom, "I'm dying now!" or the feeling of having already died, the supposed similarity is brought up a notch. Not only that, but when these chemicals were acting in my brain, my vision became very close to what you see on the screen in this movie. Between the animation style, the deep subject matter and my perceived similarities to the main character, I can't rate it any less than best.

No comments:

Post a Comment