.

.

Friday, January 21, 2011

The Agony and the Ecstasy (1965)


A historical drama by Carol Reed, starring Charlton Heston.
Michelangelo is commissioned to paint the Sistine chapel, but does not agree with the pope about the idea.
The characters were good, but the plot was mediocre. Charlton Heston acted painting very well and I think he actually painted a few lines himself. This puts the film miles above the ones that feature people pretending to make art or music. You don't want to know how many times I've seen someone fake playing guitar unsuccessfully. I expected more agony and more ecstasy from this film. Michelangelo was definitely shown suffering a little, but not as much as I had hoped. The ecstasy consisted of 1 scene of him looking at some clouds (5 min max). Where did the title emotions go? I'm rating it o.k. and the only thing that saved it from poor was the actor actually painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment