.

.

Tuesday, April 9, 2019

Game of Death A.K.A. The Game of Death, 死亡遊戲, 死亡游戏 (1978)

A Chinese kung fu directed by Robert Clouse, starring Bruce Lee, Sammo Hung, Yuen Biao and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.
The version that I watched involved the hero in conflict with a crime syndicate, including motorcyclists with striped suits. There are other versions with different plots.
This is the yellow and black tracksuit film and Bruce Lee's last film. Hence, the historical significance of a mediocre kung fuvie. I think I saw the 1972 version a long time ago, which did not include the gangsters. The other main point to note is Bruce Lee's death. In the beginning of the 1978 version, his character is acting in a movie and a light almost falls on him. There was also a scene in which Bruce Lee's actual corpse was shown in his coffin. The only part of the film that I liked was the main character going up floors of a building to face other kung fu masters. This obviously includes the climax fight against Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (also his replacement in re-shooting). The image that I have chosen was to illustrate the main fight and is not from the 1978 version that I watched. If you're into Chinese kung fu films at all, you have to see this at some point because of its historical significance. However, it is not that great a movie. I rate it adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment