.

.

Saturday, March 9, 2019

Smokey and the Bandit (1977 - 1983)

An American action adventure series directed by Hal Needham and Dick Lowry, starring Burt Reynolds, Sally Field, Jackie Gleason, Jerry Reed, Mike Henry, Paul Williams and Pat McCormick.
A father and son team set a challenge for a truck and racecar driver team to travel a certain distance within a time limit. A Texas sheriff and his son chase them.
I know I already reviewed this long ago, but I watched the whole series and it seems right that it should have a new review. The first film was great. It had a very clear plot and developed characters that the viewer would care about. The shot compositions were also great. It was followed by 2 lackluster sequels which did not live up to the first film's standards. There were a few repeated scenes, scenarios and jokes that I feel should be mentioned when discussing this as a series. The idea of escaping from lawmen obviously appeals to me. If you refer to my review of Gone in 60 Seconds (1974), you will see how much I enjoy the destruction of automobiles. The soundtrack style developed in the first film continues through the series, but on a downhill trend toward the last film. Another point to note is HAM radio communications with entertaining handles for each radio operator. The last point is the family name of the men who arrange the race. Although the subtitles refer to them as "Enos" through the whole series, the 3rd film has a logo with their name on it spelled "Enis". Having characters named Big Enis and Little Enis amused me quite a bit. I would still rate the first film good and recommend it for any audience. However, the sequels would only be rated adequate.

No comments:

Post a Comment