.

.

Sunday, March 24, 2019

Lion (2016)

An Australian British American drama biography directed by Garth Davis, starring David Wenham, Nicole Kidman, Deepti Naval and Nawazuddin Siddiqui.
A boy from a rural village in India follows his older brother, who is looking for work. The older brother walks off and the younger wanders onto a train, which departs from the station. After a few days, the boy is deposited in Calcutta. From there, he is picked up by an orphanage and adopted by an Australian family, who also adopt a mentally ill boy from Calcutta. 20 years later, the main character is attending college and decides to find the small village which he came from.
I think this may be the best "based on a true story" film I've seen. I enjoyed the adventure element most, as this little boy travels such a long distance. There were some plot gaps, but not necessarily holes. Text like "20 years later" appearing on the screen did not leave loose ends or contradictions. The audio begins in a language from India and moves into English when the boy enters Australia. I could hear all of the dialogue and the subtitles that I found matched the video file. The camerawork was generally good, showing clearly what was happening. It often did this in creative ways, with pull-outs, tracking shots and deep focal lengths. There was a little bit too much hand held camera for my taste, but it did not detract from the film. My main point in writing this is to mark a good film. The viewer will see how lost the little boy is, how he grows up to be a good person and the ending which I won't spoil. I rate this good and would recommend it for fans of the adventure, drama and biography genres.

No comments:

Post a Comment