.

.

Sunday, March 10, 2019

Ashby (2015)

An American drama directed by Tony McNamara, starring Mickey Rourke, Kevin Dunn and Michael Lerner.
A high school boy joins the football team, finds a girlfriend and befriends an aging neighbor. Turns out, the neighbor is a C.I.A. hit man.
I really had mixed feelings about this. Some parts were so thoughtful, had meaningful plot and made me like the characters. Other parts made me want to turn it off because they were vapid, had bad acting and dealt with the same bland subject material which so many other films have overdone. Mickey Rourke is a good actor and I liked his role in this film. However, I did want him to call Ed "bubble boy" and ask for a ride to the truck stop. The relationship between the two main characters was so interesting that it seemed like everything else was taking up time that could have been better spent. Overall, I have to give this one of those weird, pink ratings because of the contrast between good and bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment