.

.

Saturday, November 30, 2019

See No Evil, Hear No Evil (1989)

An American crime comedy directed by Arthur Hiller, starring Richard Pryor and Gene Wilder.
A blind man (Pryor) and deaf man (Wilder) are the only witnesses to a murder. The cops arrest them, but they escape and encounter the real murderers, finding that a gold coin which was dropped in their tip jar was in dispute. They must avoid the cops until they can locate the real criminals.
I thought this was funny in some sections. I also thought it was very standard of the place and time. A good example of this is knowing when the car chase was done because the chase music stopped. It's just all so obvious to anyone who grew up watching late '80s and early '90s movies. Come to think of it, this would have been at home, even in the 1970s. Both actors would have been around and the plot is not specific to 1989. I really like the combination of Gene Wilder and Richard Pryor. Their comedy duo worked great in this film because they can both act foolishly and make it seem sincere. The immature chief cop was a character which most folks would not write about, but I found him to be acting rather childishly. "We went to all this trouble to catch them and now you're telling me I can't shoot them?" This was right after a regular deputy has to tell him that the real criminals have been caught. I rate this adequate because I found some of it funny. Watch it if you like comedies made in this era.

No comments:

Post a Comment