.

.

Tuesday, November 26, 2019

Robinson Crusoe A.K.A. Adventures of Robinson Crusoe, Aventuras de Robinson Crusoe (1954)

A Mexican American adventure directed by Luis Bunuel, starring Jaime Fernandez.
The Robinson Crusoe story: An Englishman is shipwrecked on an island for many years and eventually befriends a victim he saves from cannibals.
This was a basic telling of the story. I read the book a while ago and liked it. It seemed that the book had Robinson in a more humbling experience, but this film had him keep his bravado and arrogance. I don't remember the dog and cat being in the book, but I could be wrong. This was recorded on shitty film, not the Technicolor/Cinemascope good stuff. Hence, although it was in color, it looked pretty bad. It looked dirty to tell the truth. If this were being written for school, I would have to discuss western colonialism ideas and why Robinson treated Friday like a slave. He did, but that's how the book was written in 1719. I rate this adequate, but it's going in my Shipwrecked folder with the Cast Aways and Swept Aways. Watch it if you like desert island survival flicks as much as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment