.

.

Tuesday, November 19, 2019

Flight to Mars (1951)

An American science fiction directed by Lesley Selander, starring Marguerite Chapman and Cameron Mitchell.
A reporter and some scientists are on a space mission to mars. Along the way, their ship is hit by meteors and damaged. They crash land and find human Martians who let them fix their ship, but plan to take it from them when repairs are complete.
I kind of like these cheesy, old science fiction flicks. The more quaint their notions of space travel and other planets are, the better. In this one, the astronauts put on bomber jackets and oxygen masks to go out onto the surface of mars. The plot was pretty standard and (as always) I thought of a simple way to solve the problems and negate the film. If the Martians had asked for help, the astronauts could have arranged it. Their planet was running out of a precious resource and when it was gone, they would die. Why not ask the Earth people to help you? Characters aren't really the focus of films like this, but I found the women quite attractive. There were some serious editing issues. This included at least 3 scenes with obvious and jarring jump cuts in them. I really like the bright and saturated colors of movies from this era and wish that type of thing would fly now. Modern movies are too HD, CG, dark and "super-realistic" for me. I would trade it all for 1980s puppet monsters and 1940s Cinecolor film in a second. I rate this adequate because it was quaint, colorful and kind of held my attention, but I wouldn't watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment