.

.

Sunday, May 20, 2018

Starcrash (1978)

An American science fiction directed by Luigi Cozzi, starring Christopher Plummer and David Hasselhoff.
An evil count threatens peace in space with a giant weapon. A pair of adventurers must find a crashed ship and defeat him.
Beautifully hokey! The hour and a half duration flew by because of the absurd style. The plot was not written or communicated very well, but ran along the lines of a general heroic adventure story. The shallow characters fit this film very well, but would have been a detriment to any other piece. Dialogue and acting seemed like a "let's get this in one take" situation was happening. Like the plot, they were not written well. I thought the sets and costumes fit together very nicely. Everything was very colorful and bold. Camera-work was predictable, but showed what was going on decently. The shot compositions looked more like 1940s than 1970s. I'm thinking The Thief of Bagdad (1940). Same goes for the compositing work. Some people would say that the special effects were a joke, but I found that joke highly amusing. I would not want good special effects for this. The tiny models and sloppy compositing pretty much made the film for me. Audio was not too shabby. I could hear everything, but the music was mixed way too loud at some points. I would best describe the style as akin to Flash Gordon (1980) and Barbarella (1968). IMDB gives it 3.9/10, AllMovie has a 1.5/5 AllMovie rating with 3/5 user ratings and Rotten Tomatoes has 33% tomatometer with 38% audience score for an average of 40%. Although I agree that this is not classy or refined, it has such innocent charm that I would argue for a better grade. I rate it awesome. Only watch this if you know what I'm talking about and agree that B movies can be more fun than Hollywood blockbusters when seen from the correct perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment